The first week of classes were great! Remember students, you are the focus of our classes! Check out the 6 messages every student should hear on the first day of school put together by Teachthought. Very inspirational!
Beginning class with a focus on connections rather than content gives learners the following messages.
1. You are the focus of the class, not me.
2. You are important as a learner and a human being in this class.
3. You will be expected to engage in the learning activities during class time. You will be an active learner. I, as the class facilitator, will be just that – a facilitator. I will introduce the learning activities, but you will be responsible for the actual learning.
4. Everything you do–good or ‘bad’–affects everyone else in the room. That means everything you do matters because you matter.
5. Struggling is a part of learning. If it’s simple or simply done, you’re probably not learning anything.
6. You are capable of anything. Your mindset matters more than anything you do or don’t know, are or are not ‘good’ at.